Canada’s military police have charged recently retired Lt.-Gen. Trevor Cadieu — who had been tapped to lead the army late last year — with two counts of sexual assault.
The Canadian Forces Provost Marshall announced the charges in a press release on Wednesday, saying the charges were laid by the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service.
“The matter relates to incidents alleged to have occurred at RMC Kingston in 1994,” the Provost Marshall said in a statement.
The investigation had been underway and “near completion” when former Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour issued an interim recommendation in the fall that all sexual misconduct cases should be transferred to civilian authorities over ongoing outcry about abuse of power and conflict of interest.
Military officials said the decision to keep the case under military police investigation was made with “due regard” for Arbour’s recommendations, and that “the civilian police agency of concurrent jurisdiction opted not to accept it.”
“This matter will now proceed through the civilian justice system and no further information can be released at this time,” the Provost Marshall office said.
More to come…
© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.